Who are we and what are we doing in our lives? What profound questions these are. If we are not being our True Selves, where are we going and what are we doing to ourselves and others? What does it mean to be in INTEGRITY and living an authentic, principled life?
In exploring this topic I recently had a deep discussion with my dear colleague Pripo Teplitsky, MA, LCMHC on his podcast series:
RELATIONSHIPS: LET’S TALK ABOUT IT
A summary of our conversation and a link to listen to the podcast are below.
https://relationships-lets-talk-about-it-with-pripo-teplitsky-lcmhc.podsite.io/episode/integrity-in-the-patientdoctor-relationship-992 On Apple Podcast
Tuesday, July 6, 2021
Integrity in the Patient/Doctor Relationship
In this episode, Dr. Mark Hoch and I discuss the role of integrity in a relationship between doctors and patients. We describe what informed consent means and underscore its importance amid the global pandemic. We explain how not aligning with integrity can impact our health and wellbeing as well as how fear discourages us from choosing to act with integrity. We also highlight the need to practice integrity and underscore the value of tolerance and standing up for what’s right.
Medical decisions and our relationship with experts in the medical field take a prominent role at this stage of the pandemic – and our response to it. Which is why information is crucial, and something Dr. Mark Hoch – Founding Diplomate of the American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine – is passionate about guiding people through. Mark has been a medical doctor for over 30 years. He received his M.D. from the University of Pittsburgh and completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Connecticut. Today, Mark is active in the holistic medical movement in the U.S. and sits as Co-Chair of the Past Presidents Council of the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine. But what really makes Mark special is his integrity and diligent work to educate others on health at a time where informed consent is imperative.
“The quality of relationships people attract or find themselves in resonates with their level of integrity.” – Dr. Mark Hoch
This week on Relationships! Let’s Talk About It:
- The role of informed consent and integrity in the work of a physician
- What happens when people don’t know they are not aligned with their integrity
- How integrity was modeled in Mark’s childhood and family
- Making mistakes in life and how they can help us check our alignment with integrity
- The relationship between a person’s integrity and their physical health and well-being
- “Choice” moments and the aspects of integrity
- The story of a woman who suffered mercury and lead poisoning
- Mark’s professional journey in healthcare and the importance of teaching health
- Integrity misalignment on a massive social scale and how fear discourages us from being our authentic selves
- Learning from the dinosaurs and how Western medicine is not based on health
- The lack of integrity in healthcare and medical research
- Flip-flopping integrity and the difference between ignorance and outright lying
- The need to practice integrity and the healthy way to learn from life